Out Of State Title Transfer

Out Of State Title Transfer

Regular price $75.00 USD
Regular price Sale price $75.00 USD
Sale Sold out

Requirements to Register a Nonresident Vehicle

  • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form completed and signed by all registered owners shown on the out-of-state registration or title. For leased vehicles, the signature of the lessor is required.
  • The last issued out-of-state title. When an out-of-state title is not surrendered to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the California registration card is marked “Nontransferable” and a California Certificate of Title is not issued.
  • The last issued out-of-state registration certificate or current year renewal notice, or a letter, fax, or wire from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registered owners name(s) and the vehicle’s last registration expiration date.
  • Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form completed by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or California-licensed vehicle verifier.
  • Commercial motor vehicles (vehicles designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property or used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit) that weigh:
    • Over 6,001 pounds unladen (empty) require a Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form. For more information, see the Registering Commercial Vehicles and PTI Trailers (FFVR 27) Fast Facts brochure.
    • 10,000 pounds or less unladen require a California public weighmaster’s certificate. A weighmaster’s certificate is not required for:
      • Autos (unless registered as commercial vehicles).
      • Motorcycles.
      • Trailers.
      • Certain commercial vehicles:
        • If a prior California registration shows the unladen weight, and the vehicle’s weight has not been altered.
        • With an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less when the out-of-state title or registration shows empty, unladen, scale, tare, or WT/Wheels weight.
        • Two or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated weight must be entered on the REG 343.
  • Trailers (except trailer coaches or park trailers) require:
  • A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
    • Gasoline-powered 1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
    • Diesel-powered 1998 and newer year models with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
    • Natural gas or propane-powered with a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.
  • The out-of-state license plates. However, you may keep the license plates if they are:
    • Expired.
    • Required to be returned to the state they were issued from.
    • For an interstate-registered vehicle (maintaining full registration in California and another state).
  • Applicable registration, transfer, and use tax fees.

When Fees Become Due

Registration fees for nonresident vehicles must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies.

To avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time, even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California.

How Do I Change Ownership?

You will need:

  • The last issued out-of-state title signed for release by the seller(s) and legal owner(s) (if any). The legal owner may also release interest on a notarized Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166) form.
  • For vehicles less than 10 model years old, a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) for odometer disclosure.
  • A REG 262 or Bill of Sale (REG 135) form if the person from whom you are acquiring the vehicle is not the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title.
View full details